When my precious cat Javier died, I created a living backyard memorial to him with rhododendrons and a sculpture of a cat that looks just like him. Every year in the spring, it gets more beautiful and the flowers keep Javi’s memory alive. I encourage everyone who has lost a beloved animal to create or buy some kind of memorial, if it’s possible. Here are just a few ideas that may resonate with you:
- Make or purchase a memorial stone or marker if your pet is buried on your property.
- Create a memory book of pictures, videos, writing – whatever feels right.
- Frame your favorite photo or photos.
- If your pet was cremated, you can buy an art piece made from the ashes. These range from jewelry to suncatchers on Etsy.
- Create a special little shrine on a shelf or small table with pictures, a candle, maybe a leash, a toy, or other special things that belonged to your pet.
- If you own your home, plant a tree or something special in honor of your beloved pet. If you rent or plan on moving soon, you can have a tree planted somewhere else in memory. If you google remembrance trees you can find many possibilities. The Trees Remember
- Donate to an animal rescue that represents the love you have for your animal.
If you are mourning a loss, I hope this post gave you some ideas of what you can do in memory. And please contact me if you would like some support as you grieve for your beloved dog or cat.